Monday, April 13, 2009

Do I run like a girl? I hope.

I think Julie Culley (picture right) challenged me today. I'm not sure, but I think she may have.
We were talking about running and she asked how my running was going. I told her that I was doing fine, running a lot of miles, but nothing really structured. At this point in my running career, I am really punting. Ray Guy, Sean Landeta, Steve Cox, Jeff Feagles, and Reggie Roby. All great former NFL punters.
Julie on the other hand is in the prime of her running career. She just came back from Amman, Jordan where she finished 21st in the world in the World Cross Country championships. 21st in the entire world! Julie is not punting.
She can run close to a 4:30 mile. I used to be able to run that. I wonder if I could get back to that type of shape? Maybe a better question is: why would I want to do something like that in the twilight of my running career? Getting to a 4:30 mile would be a lot of pain and hard work and by no means is there any guarantee that I could come close to running that. What am I doing?
Julie works in our store in Arlington part time. She is a full time runner, and a part time retail expert at the Clarendon Pacers. We are lucky to have her there for almost 30 hours a week. While I was there today she asked about my running, I immediately changed the topic to NFL punters. Then she said she needed a training partner. I took it as a challenge.
Am I grasping? Yes. But to be honest, it was just what I needed.
9 miles today.
Solo run to Alexandria from home.
x Chris Farley, miler

No comments:

Post a Comment