Monday, March 2, 2009

Being Resourceful

I was ready for it to be Spring. March is here and I was excited.

Then we got 8 inches of snow this morning? What? I mean we barley get any snow this entire Winter, then eight inches on March 2nd? Not what I’d hoped for.

I guess I actually do like snow, but now that I’m back running a little bit, I’d like to be able to get out without slipping all around and busting up my achilles again. And I’m certainly not going to use the treadmill. So when I got up and it was snowing still at 8am, I wasn’t too psyched.

Fortunately, we live close to Georgetown and the Whitehurst Freeway (above is a picture of the Freeway above Georgetown - below is the picture under the bridge). The Whitehurst runs into DC right off the Key Bridge from Arlington. Underneath the Whitehurst is a stretch of about a half mile where the bridge covers the road (K Street), and there isn’t much traffic. It has some cars parked underneath the bridge, but other than that it is the best covered stretch of running in all of DC/Northern VA.

Kathy and I ran the mile from our apartment down to the outdoor shelter of the bridge and ran for a little over an hour (10 and a half back and fourths!). It is great to be healthy and running again. When you’re training - I mean REALLY training; even a blizzard can’t stop you. Now I’m not going to claim I’m training just yet, but at least the blizzard lost today.

It was another great day to be a runner.

8 miles in 70 minutes.

x Farley

No comments:

Post a Comment