Sunday, March 1, 2009

The Good life

My brother John is heading to Iraq for a 2nd time on Tuesday. He's been to Afghanistan too, but this week its back to Iraq. He is an analysis for SAIC and does all this complex mapping stuff that is way over my head. He works mostly in the "Green Zone" which is supposed to be pretty safe. Pretty safe I think, but come on, I don't care how safe it is: being a government contractor in Iraq seems a lot more dangerous then being a Running Store GM in Arlington. (Picture to the right: L-R John, Kathy, Me, John's friend Scott)


A couple things about that:


-I have a ton of respect and admiration for my Bro. He's 25 and has a very important job that he's good at. He works all the time, and has a terrible social life when he's there in Iraq - but, lets be honest, makes a ton of cash when he gets all the hazard pay. But even more than that, I think he really feels like the work is meaningful and appreciates the opportunity to make a difference.

-I realize when talking to John, that I'm living the Good Life here back at home. He's seen a lot of adversity there, and experiences more than I can image from my Pacers Running Store box.

I hope this is last trip over there. Maybe one day he'll take me up on my offer to manager one of the stores. I'm mean I know I can't offer the helicopter trips over enemy territory, but just think John, with you in the fold we'll have the best running trails maps of any store in the country!

Good running weekend (relatively) - 12 miles on Saturday with Tim, Pearce, and Bri. 7 miles Sunday with Woody and Pearce.

x Farley

No comments:

Post a Comment