Thursday, January 22, 2009

Centro



Today didn't start off too, too great. I woke up with my achilles screaming at me. I think maybe I've gotten a little too ambitious with my running and I might need to not run 80 miles the first week back. Its crazy how different your body is at 32 verses 22.



I live in an apartment complex right across from the Iwo Jima memorial in Rosslyn, VA. My coach and Pacers team head coach, Matt Centrowitz lives right across the hall from me. Matt also coaches at AU for his full time job. He is one of the best coaches in the country. He also was one of the greatest runners in American distance running history setting the American record in the 5K in 1982 (13:12 - picture right). He went to the University of Oregon and ran with many great runners including Steve Prefontaine.


The funny thing about Matt is you wouldn't know one thing about how great he is as a coach or how great he was as a runner, because it is never about him. It is always about his family, athletes, and friends.


This morning, he caught me in the hallway probably looking defeated because my achilles was hurting, I was in for a long day of meetings with my employees and I knew it was going to be a day of very little running. "Come on Farley man, why the long face! It's going to be a great day at Pacers!" Matt says. Then he gives me a handshake and half a bear hug. "You're young, fit, and a business man! Get out there and ring that register!"


Positive energy is contagious.


The achilles will be just fine. I had a great day.


6.4 mile run in 59 minutes with Cakes.


x Farley

1 comment:

  1. I was at Oregon and in the OTC and had that logo singlet. I should dig up a photo.

    ReplyDelete