Sunday, January 25, 2009

The less you do, the less you can do

Throughout my running career I have been very lucky with injuries. I have been extremely resilient and able to handle high (relatively) mileage. I'll have the usual aches and pains with my knees and feet, but nothing I can't run though - well until now.




My right achillies has been bothering me for 3 days now. I didn't even run yesterday (hence the absent post). I think it flared up on Wednesday when I ran 15 miles in 2 runs. Usually that wouldn't have been a problem, I would have run that and been good to go, but not now.




In the last year, I have really run less than I have in the past decade. After college I ran up to 100 miles a week on numerous occasions. That is pretty normal for distance runners who are trying to break 2:40 in the marathon. I really kept pretty steady at least 80 until last year. Opening 2 new stores has really taken its toll on my running. But really, lets be honest, that is a just a convenient excuse. It really probably has more to do with the fact that I wasn't running faster and decided to not do all the little things for my running that I had done in the past. Regardless, it is what it is and I have no regrets: BUT, MAN does it suck to be injured.




I'm sure I'll be fine. It will just be a few days of easy running and a day or 2 more off than I'd like, but I'll be back running 80 a week soon (or I'll be a miserable person!). It just comes down to this: the less you do, the less you can do. I believe that in everything. If I run less, my body will become accustom to that and not allow me to transition back to running more, just like it is now with my achillies. Think about when you come home from vacation (picture on the right of Kathy and I in South Africa this past Fall), I mean seriously, doesn't it take a week for everyone to get back to being productive at work? Wait a second, I think I just gave my employees a free pass. Scratch that, be sure I'll be running tomorrow. No more vacations.




5.25 slow miles today in 41 minutes. Solo.
53.5 miles on the week.




x Farley

No comments:

Post a Comment