Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The Lifecoach

Three days ago I mentioned my obsession with Pacers and running. Another obsession I have is The Junkies radio show here in DC on WJFK. To the untrained ear it is 4 guys talking about stuff you'd hear in a frat house or men’s locker room. But if you really make a commitment to listening to the show, you'll realize it is genuinely funny, original, and the hosts have ridiculously good chemistry.

I give one of the hosts, Cakes, shoes and training advice. He refers to me on the show as his "Life coach".

Cakes wasn't born a natural runner. He wakes up every weekday at 4:30am for the show. He has 3 young kids and all the commitments associated with that. The only running he would do in the past would be around house after his kids or if he was doing a "wacky bit" on the radio show (see below - Cakes is in the white shirt on the right).

I have worked with him for 3 months now running with him 2-3 times a week. I am inspired after every single run we do.

Last night WJFK had an Inaugural Ball in Arlington. All the hosts of the shows were expected to be there, stay late and have a good time.

Today we did a tempo run of 2 1/2 miles. I could tell from the beginning he was struggling. There weren't any of his usual jokes on our warm up jog to the track. He wasn't sharp in the first couple laps and we were getting beat up by the wind. We held a 7:20 pace for the 2.5 miles. I considered it a big win for today. He had only had 4 hours of sleep. The "Life coach" has helped Cakes lose 12 pounds. We're halfway home.

2 runs today total of 15 miles.
6 miles in 48 mins with Cakes in the morning.
9 miles in 1:02 with Mark in the evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment